Monday 8 February 2010

The Joys Of Painting Spencer Smiths.

Actually, sometimes they are NOT a joy.

As there's no detail to speak of, it's usually a matter of how much one can be bothered to paint on. The thing is that sometimes there is just a HINT of something there in the casting, but one is not quite sure.... For example, I painted up several Regimental officers for the Union forces, and just gave them a black leather sword belt. Even that was barely visible, but as they had a scabbard I knew the belt had to exist. There was a rather vague blob under the scabbard (which seems to be empty, so where's the damn sword?). I assumed that the sword was there and that the blob might well be another leather belt attachment. I painted the blob black.

Once I saw John Preece's Reb officers, I noticed he had painted in the officer's sash on each figure. and that the vague blob was in fact a tassle or two. The fact that the casting HAS a sash is a little more evident on the old plastic Spencer Smiths. And after checking out a few similar poses in the SAE castings I had, the sash could be clearly seen. Oh Poo!!!

OK, I knew ACW officers often wore a sash, but just as often they didn't bother with it. But now I know it's supposed to be on the casting, I am in a dilemma as to whether I paint it in on the Union officers. I've done it on one, and it's a chore on an already painted and varnished figure! I guess I shall not bother, even though the afore-mentioned blob is there... Will I lose sleep over it?

Aside from that, I managed to complete the first Union Brigade commander. This is the first mounted Spencer Smith I have attempted, and I am happy with the results.





And yes, I know I forgot the stirrups! They've since been added. Doh!!

3 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Hi Chrissie,

Your mounted officer looks grand! I know what you mean about painting SSM figures. Simultaneously a joy and a frustrating experience.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Poacher said...

Thank you so much, Stokes.

Sadly I took the picture a little too early!

I had forgotten to paint the stirrups AND...

I had also forgotten his sideburns!

That's what happens when one has a little terror running around the house, off from school courtesy of a Teacher Training day..!!

chrissie
xx

Peeler said...

Those Spencers are looking good Poach. I'm sorely tempted!